Texas Rojo Red Snapper Tacos
- 2 pounds red snapper fillets, cut into 3-4 ounce pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dude Food Fire Texas Rojo Spice Blend
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup ghee or clarified butter
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup grated colby jack cheese
- Coleslaw (see recipe below)
- Rojo Fruit Salsa (see recipe below)
- Cotija or Queso Fresco cheese for garnish, if desired
Start fire and heat coals to 450-500 degrees.
- In a glass baking dish add olive oil and Texas Rojo spice blend. Mix well. Place fish fillets in dish and coat with olive oil mixture; sprinkle with half of salt, turn over, and sprinkle with remaining salt. Refrigerate 45 minutes to 1 hour while grill heats up.
- When grill is ready, place skillet over coals about 6-8 inches above fire and preheat for about 10 minutes. When pan is ready, add butter and let melt. Add all fish fillets evenly around the pan. When fish turns white around the outer edges, turn gently. This only takes about 45 seconds to one minute on each side. This will go fast! Remove fish from fire into a clean 9x13 dish. Cover with foil and let rest to finish cooking.
- While skillet is hot and buttery, coat tortillas one at a time in butter to heat and set aside on foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a separate skillet on the stove over medium high heat, add 2 or 3 tortillas at a time and let heat for 15-20 seconds. Turn over and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of grated cheese on each tortilla and cook about 1 minute. Remove from pan and lay flat on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Divide fish between the cheesy tortillas. Top with dollop of slaw, fruit salsa, and queso fresco.
Texas Rojo Slaw
- ½ cup mayonaisse
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dude Food Fire Texas Rojo Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 (10-ounce) packages angel hair cabbage
Whisk mayonnaise in a bowl until smooth. Add honey, spice blend, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth and incorporated. Add vinegar and whisk until creamy with no lumps. Add cabbage and toss to coat. Place in Ziploc bag, remove air, seal, and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to one hour.
Texas Rojo Fruit Salsa:
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, small diced
- ½ cup medium yellow onion, small diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of half of a lime (reserve the other half of a lime, sliced, for garnish)
- ½ cup chopped fresh mango (or frozen and thawed)
- ½ cup chopped fresh papaya (or frozen and thawed)
- ½ cup fresh pineapple chopped
- 4-5 leaves fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dude Food Fire Rojo Spice Blend
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Place in a Ziploc bag, remove air, seal, and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to 2 hours. Serve with lime wedges and tortilla chips.